So you want to DevOps? There’s no “right” path, but here’s my path.
Learn to Code at the Commandline
Automation is the language of the sysadmin. Embrace the keyboard. Code away what’s trivial, boring, mundane, and belittling
- Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches, Third Edition
- Learn PowerShell Scripting in a Month of Lunches
- The PowerShell Scripting and Toolmaking Book
- Windows PowerShell in Action, Third Edition
- The Pester Book
Azure + PowerShell
Store Your Code in Source Control
Long gone are the days of relying on shell history and file shares to store your code. You need something better. You need source control.
Get-Git: Learning Git with PowerShell
Learn everything you need to know about Git to effectively source control your PowerShell.
* Store Your Code in Source Control * Installing Git & Create a GitHub Account * Creating Repositories * Tracking, Committing, and Pushing * Avoid Clobbering with Branches * PR means Pull Request * Commit Messages Matter * Get-GitLog | Format-List * Make Your Prompt Pretty
Should I create this? Pre-order if interested.Pre-order the Course
Infrastructure Should be Code
Because clicking sucks.
Desired State Configuration
- become Ansible: Zero to Production-Ready <– My book
- Ansible for DevOps: Server and configuration management for humans
- Terraform on Azure: Infrastructure as Code from Scratch
- Terraform: Up & Running
Releasing Code Can’t be Manual
You’ve automated the sysadmin stuff. Now automate some more. It’s time to automate the build, deployment, and testing of your automation.
Insert Something clever
The industry is rebasing on a new skill set. And that skill set is cloud.
- Practice of Cloud System Administration, The: DevOps and SRE Practices for Web Services, Volume 2
- Cloud Native Patterns
Level Up with Certs
Certifications matter. Each major cloud vendor has made a tremendous investment in their certification tracks. It’s simple, they want you to be able to use their cloud.
If you feel stuck. Or left behind in the cloud game, study, and crush some exams. It’s not the piece of paper that matters. It won’t make you an expert. But it will get you in the game and you’ll have something to show for it.
In other words, certifications don’t matter but they absolutely do matter.
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate
I have a sysadmin background. And my recommendations reflect my background. I hold the AWS CCP, but then chose to pivot to Azure. I currently hold the AZ-103 & AZ-400.
DevOps as a Philosophy
What they mean by DevOps isn’t about tools. It requires a different mindset & somewhat of a philosophy.
Required Reading, (Not just for your manager)
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
- Making Work Visible: Exposing Time Theft to Optimize Work & Flow
- Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow
- Accelerate: The Science of Lean Software and DevOps: Building and Scaling High Performing Technology Organizations
- The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations
- Site Reliability Engineering: How Google Runs Production Systems
2020-08-14 00:00 +0000